Thursday 29 January 2009

Decisions decisions!

[day dreams of a new life]
Trying to pack a bag of essentials for the new era down under. I won't be back in the UK until mid December so I'm trying to compose the perfect bundle of goodies to see me through the year - decision time! For some reason, things I've lived quite happily without for months are suddenly calling out for me, "just in case". I feel the need to unearth my glut of silk scarves and take the lot! Piles of unread books are clamoring for my attention, although they're probably unread for a good reason.

(It's been an average of 34.5C over there and 2C here this week. It's gonna hit me like a hair drier when I step outside the airport...my feet are too tuff and my legs too white from winter neglect for any shorts and sandals combo!)

I'm staying in strange, slick accommodation. Sadly, the French theme doesn't appear to extend past the place's name and website's colour scheme. The pool looks sweet but the rooms are small and there appear to be some strict living/conduct/decoration guidelines. I'm playing house in my head for my new life but my exciting imagined lair may have to wait a few months, (I will have to put up a covert clippings wall at the very least!)

Housing is mad expensive across Melbourne so I figured I'd go for the safe, pre-packaged version while I learn the ropes. I've done leap of faith renting before, with an apparent bargain in Firenze. I ended up in a flat that was in a Dark Ages state of disrepair, sharing with a jolly-hockey-sticks British girl, (awful). I woke up most days with my face caked in the flaked paint from the rising damp in my wall.  

2 comments:

  1. I actually, upon driving the 6 hours from Baltimore to Ohio was thinking about sunscreen, you, and Australia, which leads me to say:
    WEAR SUNSCREEN YOU GODDAMN ENGLISH ROSE!
    I DON'T WANT YOU GETTING SKIN CANCER BEFORE YOU HIT 26!!

    ReplyDelete